Icon has a strong technical research culture, including research projects and collaborations with equipment vendors (such as Varian and Siemens), other clinical institutions and universities. These projects operate across nationally across Australian Icon cancer centres. This research often leads to implementation of new techniques or technology, as well as presentation at national and international conferences, or publication in international peer reviewed journals.
Icon currently collaborates with the following research agreements/projects:
- Megavoltage intrafraction motion monitoring for VMAT treatments
- 4DCT commissioning on Siemens CT-Simulators
- Direct Density commissioning on Siemens Confidence CT-Simulators
- Commissioning of Halcyon™ linear accelerators in developing nations
- Varian Online Adaptive Consortium
- TomoTherapy and Halcyon™ comparative study
Icon also has several internally led technical research projects relating to Halcyon™, HyperArc™, motion management and online adaptive radiation therapy and continues to foster our global partnership with Varian Medical Systems to advance radiation oncology.